701 5th Avenue, application by a retail tenant for a new storefront and new door.
WHEREAS, 701 5th Avenue, known as The St. Regis Hotel, is a 19 story luxury hotel, at the southeast corner of 55th Street that was constructed in 1901 with addition in 1927 in the Beaux Arts style by Trowbridge & Livingston and Sloan & Robertson respectively; and
WHEREAS, The ground floor is comprised of existing non-historic storefront along 5th Avenue and 55th Street; and
WHEREAS, The Applicant, wishes to:
- replace non-original storefront on the southern bay on 5th Avenue to match the storefront of the two adjacent northern bays;
- replace existing metal and glass storefront windows with new antique bronze & glass storefront
- replace travertine storefront base
- install new decorative ornamental steel entry gate & bronze door
- install dark blue canvas awnings with Harry Winston logo
- install non-illuminated signage
WHEREAS, Community Board Five finds the materials, scale, and execution of alterations to be appropriate and historically contextual with the existing two arched storefront bays' rhythm, proportion and aesthetic; therefore be it
RESOLVED, Community Board Five recommends approval of the application for a Certificate of Appropriatenessfor a new storefront and door for 701 5th Avenue, the St. Regis Hotel.