14 West 23rd Street (Ladies’ Mile Historic District), application to enlarge existing 6th Floor and installation of interior partitions and doors
WHEREAS, The building located at 14 West 23rd Street, in the Ladies’ Mile Historic District was converted from a brownstone into a retail building by Henry Hardenbergh in 1882, and in 1892 the present cast-iron facade, designed by George H. Billings, was installed; and
WHEREAS, The site is the birthplace of Edith Wharton; and
WHEREAS, The application is to horizontally enlarge the existing 6th floor to accommodate office space; and
WHEREAS, The existing 6th floor is 545 square feet and the proposed plan will add an additional 770 square feet primarily to the back of the current unit; and
WHEREAS, The new 6th floor structure will be 10 feet high in the front and slope up to 12 feet high toward the back of the building; and
WHEREAS, The exterior finish of the structure will match the existing stucco clad finish on the existing 6th floor; and
WHEREAS, This 6th floor structure is set back 16 feet, 6 inches from the front of the building and will be slightly visible from Madison Park; therefore be it
RESOLVED, That Community Board Five recommends approval of the application for a Certificate of Appropriateness to enlarge the existing 6th floor at 14 West 23rd Street and regrets that the applicant has not made the addition totally invisible from the thoroughfares.
The above resolution passed with a vote of 35 in favor, 0 opposed, 1 abstention.