79 Fifth Avenue (The Knickerbocker Building), Application for Certificate of Appropriateness to change the door and add a canopy and banners at the 2 East 16th St. entrance
WHEREAS, 79 Fifth Avenue (the Knickerbocker Building) located within the Ladies’ Mile Historic District, was constructed in 1904-1905 by Architect Albert S. Gottleib in the Beaux-Arts Style; and
WHEREAS, The applicant, the New School University, has a long-term lease on space within the building, and plans to change the entrance to provide greater accessibility to the building for their increasing student population; and
WHEREAS, The freight entrance door will be removed but the current right hand door will remain; and
WHEREAS, Another door will be added to create two double door entrances on either side of a fixed glass pane, keeping the cast iron bulkheads; and
WHEREAS, A two-inch thin glass canopy, extending 5 feet, covering the new door configuration, will be erected using existing cast iron frames and steel rods for support; and
WHEREAS, Four banners (18" W x 9' 6" H) will be placed above the new entrances, one on each side of the double doors; and
WHEREAS, The applicant has accepted the Committee’s recommendation that the banners be attached within the reveals of the facade instead of within the fabric itself; and
WHEREAS, The banner color and logos are part of a location master plan by the University for all its buildings; therefore be it
RESOLVED, That Community Board Five recommends approval of the Certificate of Appropriateness for 79 Fifth Avenue to change the door and add a canopy and banners at the 2 East 16th Street entrance.
The above resolution passed with a vote of 20 in favor, 1 opposed, 1 abstention.