18 East 50th Street, Hamptons Shop Building, application to remove existing modern facade components back to the original limestone, replace all existing windows and louvers to the original state.
WHEREAS, The Hamptons Shop Building is an eleven story neo-gothic commercial building located at 18 East 50th Street, designed by Rouse and Goldstone, and Joseph L. Steinman; and
WHEREAS, The Hamptons Shop Building was built in 1915-16 and designated as a landmark in 2016; and
WHEREAS, The Applicant intends to restore the existing street level facade to its original terracotta and limestone; and
WHEREAS, The proposed new street level facade will replace non-historic existing windows and louvers to a more historically and contextually appropriate state, using glass and iron; and
WHEREAS, The Applicant has applied to relocate the existing non-original flagpoles to the sides of the storefront, to allow for an improved view of the building facade; and
WHEREAS, The Applicant has applied to add a revolving glass door to the front entrance; and
WHEREAS, CB5 is generally wary of approving revolving glass doors when they are not part of the original facade, and were not there at the time of designation; and
WHEREAS, In this instance, the revolving door is recessed beyond the property line, and contextually consistent with the neighborhood; and
WHEREAS, The Applicant has identified the ecological benefits of a revolving door, particularly as there is no awning above the door; and
WHEREAS, CB5 is appreciative of the Applicant's plan to restore and maintain the historic features of the Building and to use original and noble materials when possible; therefore be it
RESOLVED, Community Board Five recommends approval of the application by Hampton Shop Building at 18 East 50th Street to remove existing modern facade components back to the original limestone, replace all existing windows and louvers to the original state, install clear glass revolving glass door, and move two existing flag poles out further to be placed above the small exterior louvers located above the two side entryways.