1 West 54th Street and 5th Avenue (The University Club), application for a rooftop addition
WHEREAS, The University Club is an Italian Renaissance palazzo-style structure built by famed architectural firm McKim, Mead and White in 1900, and is an individual landmark, located at One West 54th Street; and
WHEREAS, In 1929, a rooftop addition was built to welcome squash courts, and more courts were built in 1933, all of these additions are visible from the main thoroughfares, including 5th Avenue; and
WHEREAS, The applicant wants to build an additional double squash court and a gallery for spectators to view the games and mechanical elements (elevator bulkhead) on the roof; and
WHEREAS, The additional structure will be clad in ochre color stucco; and
WHEREAS, The addition will be visible mainly on the west utilitarian façade of the building, and will also be minimally visible from 5th Avenue and from 54th Street; and
WHEREAS, The visibility is minimal and has no negative impact on the historical quality of the building; therefore be it
RESOLVED, That despite concerns regarding the new addition partially blocking the view of the cornice of the Peninsula Hotel, located directly on the north side of the University Club, Community Board Five recommends approval of the rooftop addition on the University Club building.
The above resolution passed with a vote of 33 in favor, 0 opposed, 1 abstention.